July 17, 2009
Printer Friendly Version
37. But as the days of Noe [Noah] were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
38. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
39. And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Jesus told us that the days of His coming would be like the days of Noah. It is then important to understand what was happening in Noah's time, as it will relate to what we will see in these end times. What wickedness caused God to destroy the whole earth? In Genesis chapter 6, we read that “The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.” (vs 11) and “...all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.” (vs 12). The wickedness was so great, that man thought evil continually. Never did a good, godly thought come into his mind. “And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. “ (vs 5). This is very terrible. However, it gets worse:
1. And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2. That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
3. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
4. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
During this time, the “sons of God,” fallen angelic beings, intermarry and procreate with humans. Their hybrid offspring, called Nephalim, possessed superhuman height and strength. They were the giants, the mighty men of old. Now, this may seem extreme and outlandish, but this is exactly what this Scripture says. Some argue that these are not offspring of fallen angels and man, but of different races of man. They argue that the “sons of God” are the godly line of Seth, while the “daughters of men” are of the ungodly line of Cain. These people were thus unequally yoked, believer with nonbeliever. This theory, however, has a fatal flaw: the yoke of believers with nonbelievers will not result in giant children! Most know of couples who are unequally yoked. But when do their children possess superhuman abilities, or incredible height? Christians are still marrying nonbelievers, howbeit contrary to Scripture. But their children do not become giants! Therefore, this incident in Genesis 6 does not simply record godly humans intermarrying with ungodly humans, as this does not account for the superhuman traits in the offspring.
In addition, it is argued that angels do not marry, citing Matthew 22:30: “For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. “ It is true that the angels of God in Heaven do not marry. However, the rebellious angels are not of God, and have been cast out of Heaven. Godly angels do not marry. These rebellious and ungodly angels, having fallen from their created order; is it then unthinkable that they could have violated this as well? Godly angels in Heaven do not marry, but the Bible does not place this limitation on fallen angels.
In Noah's day, these fallen angels had well intermarried into the human race, polluting the genealogy with non-human DNA. Mankind had also became so wicked that they thought only of evil. Noah and his family was both righteous and perfect in their generations. They had no fallen angelic DNA in their blood. Others, fully human, yet fully wicked, were the congregation of Noah's preaching of righteousness. Had things continued, all human blood would have been polluted with nonhuman DNA. No one would be exempt. Thus, God had to destroy them to stop this wickedness.
However, the Nephilim resurfaced after the flood. Nimrod attempted to become a mighty one, possibly a Nephilim “And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth. “ (Gen 10:8). Giants reappeared, under the names of Anakim, Rephalim, Emim, and Zamzummim. When the Israelites attempted to enter the Promised Land, they encountered the Anakims. “And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight. “ (Num 13:33). Under the leadership of Joshua the man of God, all the Anakims (hybrid giants) were destroyed or driven out of Israel.
21. And at that time came Joshua, and cut off the Anakims from the mountains, from Hebron, from Debir, from Anab, and from all the mountains of Judah, and from all the mountains of Israel: Joshua destroyed them utterly with their cities.
22. There was none of the Anakims left in the land of the children of Israel: only in Gaza, in Gath, and in Ashdod, there remained.
The leftover giants in Gath would have a negative effect on Israel's future. David fought Goliath, a giant of Gath (1 Sam 17:4). David and the Israelites fought several giants after Goliath:
2 Samuel 21:15-22
15. Moreover the Philistines had yet war again with Israel; and David went down, and his servants with him, and fought against the Philistines: and David waxed faint.
16. And Ishbi-benob, which was of the sons of the giant, the weight of whose spear weighed three hundred shekels of brass in weight, he being girded with a new sword, thought to have slain David.
17. But Abishai the son of Zeruiah succoured him, and smote the Philistine, and killed him. Then the men of David sware unto him, saying, Thou shalt go no more out with us to battle, that thou quench not the light of Israel.
18. And it came to pass after this, that there was again a battle with the Philistines at Gob: then Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Saph, which was of the sons of the giant.
19. And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim, a Beth-lehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.
20. And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant.
21. And when he defied Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimea the brother of David slew him.
22. These four were born to the giant in Gath, and fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.
The main characteristics of a Nephilim are incredible height and superhuman strength. Goliath's height was “six cubits and a span” (1 Sam 17:4) or approximately 10 feet. (1 cubit = 1.5 ft, 1 span = 0.5 ft). His coat of mail weighted 125 pounds (5000 shekels), and the tip of his spear weighed 15 pounds (600 shekels). They were also known for superhuman strength, as “mighty men which were of old, men of renown” (Gen 6:4). They may also have strange or mutant body features, such as six fingers and six toes (see 2 Sam 21:20 above).
Do Nephilim exist today? Jesus warned that the days of His coming would be like the days of Noah. People would be marrying and being given in marriage. In Noah's day, they were intermarrying with fallen angels. Does the “marrying and being given in marriage” of Matthew 24:38 refer to the return of this unbiblical crossbreading? The prophet Daniel gives more insight on the Nephilim of the last days. In regards to the revived Roman Empire of the last days, he says “And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.” (Dan 2:43). Some attempt to mingle and pollute the human bloodstream with nonhuman DNA. They attempt to create part human hybrids, chimeras. However, they have problems. The seeds do not mix well. They don't cleave to each other. The resulting hybrids die early deaths, or have unexpected deformities. In light of all this weirdness, this is the good news. The evil plans will be thwarted. Therefore, the Nephilim will reappear in these last days.
We are living in the end times. Evil men will get worse and worse. The Nephilim will reemerge, if they are not here already. Also, the modern transhumanist movement may be a cover for the Nephilim. I know that this is an unpopular, unpleasant topic. However, we know that the Lord will have the victory. He defeated the Nephalim in the time of Joshua and David. He will also defeat them now. In Christ alone we will have the victory.